The Company is a management company whose activities include the management of different ships registered in different states under various Classifications.
The Company’s Mission is the:
“Management of different types of Ships with a view to satisfying the Customer, while protecting the Environment and the Safety of the ship and people.”
To achieve its mission, the Company will focus its efforts on the following objectives:
- safety at sea, ensuring that the ship is sufficiently, effectively and efficiently manned to provide safety and security of the ship, safe navigation and operations at sea, operations in port, prevention of human injury or loss of life (goal: no accidents), the avoidance of damage to the marine environment and to property, and to ensure welfare and health of seafarer through the avoidance of fatigue.
- continued reduction of risks associated with the work activities of its employees through the:
- elimination of hazards at the source, replacing what is dangerous with what is not;
- reduction of exposure to hazards, limiting the presence of people in dangerous areas;
- improvement of collective protections and encouraging the use of personal protective equipment;
- reduction of the likelihood of injury, improving the effectiveness of training and education;
- Assessment of all the risks identified for its ships, people and the environment, and establishing appropriate countermeasures
- Protection of the marine environment from potential spills of hazardous loads and noxious liquids (goal: no spills at sea);
- Reduction, by applying best practices and the best technologies possible, of emissions into the atmosphere of greenhouse gases (vapours from cargo and engine emissions);
- Reduction, where possible, of the production of waste on board the ship,
- Containment, if possible, of fuel consumption;
- Adoption of a “green” policy for purchases using, where technically and economically feasible, suitably certified products with low environmental impact;
- Containment, where possible, of noise emissions;
- Increase in the reliability of treatment systems on board, in particular, the wastewater treatment plant;
- Control of water contamination by TBT released from the hull of ships by adopting the best available technologies;
- Application of good practices in the loading and unloading of ballast water in order to prevent contamination by allochthonous microorganisms.
- Assessment of all the risks identified for its ships, people and the environment and identification of the appropriate countermeasures.
To achieve these objectives, the Company has developed its own internal Management System, based on the following guiding principles:
- Efficient organisation on board the ship and ashore to ensure Health, Safety and Environmental Protection
- A Safety Management Manual in compliance with IMO Resolution 741 (18):
- A quality system in compliance with ISO 9001/2008
- A “Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan” in compliance with Resolution MEPC.203(62)
- Medical screening of seafarers to ensure health and hygiene on board the ship
- Continuous improvement of the Management System, adapting it to the dynamics of the Company’s development;
- Improvement of the organisation, placing value on the role of each collaborator, to benefit the efficiency and competitiveness of the Company aimed at reducing costs that do not add value;
- Continuous improvement of the technical skills and the operating and management efficiency of ship-based and shore-based personnel by providing appropriate training programs, including the preparation for responding to emergencies relating to safety and environmental pollution;
- Compliance with all the applicable legal requirements, the international, national and classification agreements and standards, voluntary requirements defined by the Company;
- Minimisation of environmental risks through:
- the observance, by ship-based and shore-based officers, of specially prepared operating procedures;
- adequate preparation for the management of emergencies;
- attention to internal and external communication processes, for an effective dissemination of information on business management.
The Policy regarding alcohol is based on total abstinence.
Any type of drug, except for prescribed drugs, is prohibited on ships managed by the Company. Personnel taking prescription drugs must declare them to the Master of the ship at the time of boarding or at the time of prescription if this occurs during the period of service on board the ship.
This policy is monitored and implemented on board the ships by the Master.
All crew members will be tested to monitor the effectiveness of the Policy, the timetable of the tests will be: random alcohol testing at least twice a month, drug tests will be given only in case of reasonable suspicion, following serious incidents or at the specific request of the charterer.
Those who violate the above Policy will be immediately fired.
In accordance with the law, the Company will provide the entire crew with CE marked PPE equipped with all the required certifications. The conditions of use are defined by a special Matrix. Crew members, including the Technicians or Company representatives, must use the PPE made available to them based on the methods defined in the PPE Matrix, must take care of their own PPE and report any faults or defects. The PPE are inventoried by an identification code system and registered in a dedicated form where are listed the categories of PPE, the Id code for each PPE and the date of manufacture with relative date of expire (if applicable). The PPE Id code is also recorded on the form PPE delivery to the seamen filled in at the time of embarkation, so to have under control the distribution of the PPE.
Smoking is only allowed in the designated smoking areas according to signs posted in the common areas. Offenders (seafarers, technicians, visitors) will be liable to the measures established by law.
This Policy is disseminated, using the tools deemed most appropriate, to all collaborators (employees, seafarers, suppliers) and Customers in order to involve them in following the path of continuous improvement.
The Company Management, during the annual review of the Management System, defines the specific improvement objectives. Management is committed to providing the resources necessary to achieve and monitor the defined objectives, to inform the appropriate company levels of these objectives, and to periodically review this Policy and the entire management system to verify its appropriateness.
Company personnel are required to comply with the spirit of this Policy and to work towards reaching the aforesaid objectives.
In particular, Management and the Managers undertake to provide a good example by adopting behaviour in keeping with the guiding principles of the Company’s Management System.
The Company is responsible for energy management and will implement energy efficiency in all its structures, ships, systems and plants, whenever convenient to do so.
It is the Company’s policy to control energy consumption in order to:
- Prevent unnecessary costs
- Improve cost-effectiveness, productivity and working conditions
- Reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and protect the environment
Objectives of the Company in managing energy efficiency are:
- To purchase fuel at reasonable prices.
- To use fuels as efficiently as possible.
- To reduce the amount of pollution, particularly CO2 emissions caused by the company’s energy consumption.
- To the extent possible, reduce dependence on fossil fuels by using renewable energy and energy recovered from the plants and systems.
- To focus on sustainable development without limiting trade and growth.
- To focus on achieving objectives without any restrictions on the attainment methods.
- To stimulate technical research and development in the maritime sector.
- To implement new technologies.
- To make it practical, transparent, legal and easy to be administered.
- To reduce energy consumption and associated costs
- To quantify energy consumption per unit managed by establishing a basic parameter for measuring future improvements.
- To quantify emissions before and after energy management
To achieve these goals, the company has developed its own internal system for managing energy efficiency, based on the following principles:
- Efficient organisation on board the ship and ashore to guarantee the safety of the ship’s crew and the environment.
- “Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan” in compliance with Annex VI of MARPOL 73/78
- Continuous improvement of the Management System, adapting it to the development and dynamics of the company;
- Continuous improvement of the technical and operating capabilities and management efficiency of the personnel, both on board the ship and ashore, through adequate training programs including preparation for responding to emergencies concerning the safety of the ship, crew and environment.
Each crew member and/or technician and/or Company Inspector present on board the ship, in case of suspected risk situation for human health, the environment and/or the ship, before and during any kind of operation, is authorised to divulge its safety recommendations aimed at stopping the activities underway, notifying the Master of the identified risk. The Master, after evaluating the report and the identified risk, decides whether to interrupt the operations, in which case additional precautions, measures and corrective actions will be implemented in order to allow the operations to resume in complete safety. The stop work proposal is recorded in the appropriate forms.